At this time last year we went fully-HTML5 on you, replacing old and slow Flash technology with new and improved HTML5. We were only focused on giving you the best technology available so we didn’t change the overall look of the widget. This year we’re excited to announce our new modern widget that will give your publications a freshly polished look.
What we did. Visual changes:
The old widget was slightly intrusive and failed to provide a compelling reading experience. So we decided to design a new widget specifically to address these issues. Your suggestions really helped us. Here are some of the visual changes that you will immediately notice.
- A cleaner and more polished look – We’ve dumped the old menu bar that more often than not created confusion among your readers. We merged the ◀ and ▶ buttons and the bottom thumbnails into an elegant, thin and subtle new slider that looks gorgeous. We gave the zoom bar the same visual treatment and we changed the standard background color.
- The share, download & search buttons – We’ve moved share, download & search to the top left corner. On the new widget your readers have much easier access to these features as they are more visible.
- A new fade-out effect on all controls – To add an extra layer of finesse to the new look and feel of the widget we also added a bit of functionality. There is now a complete fade-out on all controls after exactly 3 seconds of inactivity. Very smooth and very clean.
Use the slider on the image below to compare the before and after images.
What we did. User experience changes:
- Fast access to the share, download and search – The new placement of the share and download buttons makes it a lot easier for your readers to distribute your publications on the web. Sharing is now more obvious and less obtrusive.
- Removed collection display – “Less is more” was a leading principle in our redesign. That’s why we removed flipbook collections from the classic widget. They are now exclusively a shelf widget feature. Uploading multiple PDFs in the classic widget will be merged automatically.
- Centered first and last pages – God is in the details and small changes can have a lot of impact. The first and last pages of the flipbook will now be centered automatically while before they remained locked in their positions. This was a much requested change.
- More room for your flipbooks – With this new redesign we decided to make a bit more room for your publications. Flipbooks now cover a larger part of the screen than they previously did while the amount of empty space has been reduced.
- Page zoom limited to 100% – Zooming in too much can sometimes reveal more bad parts than good. This is why we limited the zoom-in to 100% of the PDF’s size, so your readers don’t see any unpleasant pixelated images. The old widget zoomed up to 400%.
- 10x better experience on mobile devices – The most notable changes we’ve made can be seen on mobile devices. The slider widget is now gone! This was the most requested change from our users. We also integrated a smart display technology that automatically displays publications in single page or double page mode based on the the device it’s viewed on for an optimal viewing experience.
Our new widget looks and works smoothly on all mobile devices and is more inline with the desktop experience. The navigation sliders are especially effective and fun to use now! Check out the changes yourself on the flipbook below:
The overall look and feel of the widget
All of the changes we’ve mentioned above have been addressed in order to improve your reader’s experience by providing a much cleaner look to your online publications.
We also want to mention that all of the flipbooks that are already embedded will not be affected by these changes.
I hope you found this helpful and you enjoy the new widget as much as we enjoyed working on it. If you have any suggestions about our product please let us know in the comment section below.